Monday 13 October 2014

Lest We Forget:

The Tower of London Remembers

I was so moved by my visit, with my sister to see this.
I just had to blog it to make sure I remember the deep effect it had on me. 
If you don't know about it Find Out Here.   

It would have been nice to start with a photo of my paternal grandfather, unfortunately I do not have one to show you.   Nor in fact do I know much about him other than he was blinded by mustard gas and was a bloody nice chap.

In his stead I start with private William Cecil Tickle.


He  was from Tottenham only 15 when he volunteered and served with the 9th Essex Regiment.



Hard to describe in pictures (and especially hard with the billions of tourists that inhabit it's environs) but I shall have a go none the less. We start the circle of the moat by traitors gate.



My sister and I felt that the raised poppies represented the young men going over the the top of the trenches.


Joining many others and filling the moat with their blood.














As we reached the apposite corner the poppies poured from the tower like a fatal haemorrhage flooding the moat.






Every poppy a person


every boy had a mother.


So many they all become a blur.


So many


Real people, every one a personal tragedy.


We should remember, politics is politics - nothing was worth that ! 
They were Lions led by donkeys.





Life is precious
Every poppy was a life.




Post script -
I saw this in the first week of October there is still another month of planting poppies to go before the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month


Every poppy is a hero.


ttfn


.




4 comments:

  1. Very thought-provoking, indeed. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely blog on a very moving spectacle. Hils x

    ReplyDelete
  3. An excellent collection of photo's and commentary, you have allowed the images to remind us of the both the enormity and the intimacy these losses, Crog x

    ReplyDelete