Saturday 28 April 2012

Kew Garden - a year on one page.

I have been posting monthly on our own bijou garden here at Delargo Towers but have never thought to post my visits to Kew. We try to get to Kew at least once every month but I have never blogged it (the photos are generally posted on my or on Lady Delargo's Photobucket).


Click here if you fancy a look at  my Kew .There is only one pic in the main folder which is of the two of us at Kew way back in 2000; you need to go to the sub-folders to see the pics.


Now that we are in the grip of the curse of  'St Swithin-esque' climes, with rain and unsettled weather predicted until the middle of August, I still have not visited Kew in April yet ( I seem to miss the lilacs every year, and I do love them so).

Today is my only day off this week and it being a complete washout, I turned to my photos of last year to cheer me up, hence this post and a regular Kew update to follow.

We will start in April last year.


...not so damp methinks.


Bluebells, Lilac and Wisteria.


May 2011

True faves - Mecanopsis, Rhodohpoxis and...



...Peonies. How they will do with the weather this year is doubtful.


June

The month of wine and roses.



They have done a lot of work on the rose garden at Kew so I am looking forward to the display this year. 


I love the old fashioned roses and of course the spectacular and fragrant Regale lily.


July



The 'order beds' and the 'Duke's Garden' are at their best at this time of year.


Phlox and Agapanthus in the Duke's Garden, and Penstemon in the order beds.


August

I seemed to have missed August in 2011 so the photos are thanks to Alistair.



As you can see Alistair's photos are a bit more artistic than my snaps!


...so I have included a few more than the three per month I have allotted myself.


...well, one more anyway.



September

Moving into September,



everything is full and mellow.


A fabulous blue Salvia on the wall by the rock garden:



Verbena and Verbascum: a fab combination.


October

Once again I need to rely upon Alistair. We were busy bees in October and while we have photos of the gardens in Regent's Park and Clissold Park there are none of Kew.


Autumn crocus tells us this summer is nearly over.


Monkshood. and little ol' me in the order beds:


November

The amazing Titan Arum. We still have not seen it in flower yet just the spike or the dead flower. Maybe this year...


More Salvias. They flowered right into the winter.

The summer has faded.


December

Thanks again to Alistair.




January 2012

We had some fab weather in January.

Witch Hazel on the mound of the Temple of Bellona (the Roman Goddess of War), which also contains a plaque in memory of staff of Kew Gardens who were killed in the two World Wars.
  

Snowdrops in the rockery; and both Camellias and the Rhodos were out in January!

February

My birthday month this month, and it's all indoors for the Tropical Extravaganza again thanks to Alistair.




March

Full circle and the last time we saw any sun.


Early spring.

Mayflowers and Magnolias against the blue sky. Pure heaven.



Just one more photo to end. The same way as I like to end all my visits to Kew!


t t f n


1 comment:

  1. Fabulous! I have not been since last November, and I miss Kew so much... Jx

    ReplyDelete