Sunday 29 May 2011

Tony's singular adventures; Bristol

Right then me dears I be off to Brizole (or Bristol to you).


I have always been fond of Bristol ever since I used to pop up there as a teenager in the 70s to 'do' the scene.
Pubs and clubs have come and gone since then although I believe that the Elephant, the Griffin and the Pineapple are all still going strong.


Alas no time to troll around as I am on a mission to meet my mother for lunch. It seems rather a long way to go as I live in London and Mum still lives in Plymouth. Mother was on her way to Wales for a holiday and it made a good half way point to meet.



I still get a thrill every time I go through Paddington.
From a child it was always the gateway into London and filled me with excitement. Now it is my gateway to the West Country and Wales.


It really is an iron cathedral to the locomotive and I love it. I can remember steam trains (just) and try to imagine what the place would have been like filled with steam, smoke and those wonderful noises.


If you click this you can get some idea.



Bristol.

Thank you Brunel.
He was involved in all aspects of the design of the stations at Paddington and Bristol Temple Meads which are complete opposites in style. 



Some contemporary critics considered the turrets, facades and decoration were inappropriate and anachronistic, but it is today admired for the way style, space and structure come together naturally and coherently.
A lesson that should be learnt today methinks.

 








On into Bristol where old and new, beautiful and ugly sit side by side.



Down into the old city to Corn Street, once the home to banks and commerce, now the home of bars and cafes.
We went to The Commercial Rooms for lunch. A very grand building indeed and where the decision to give Brunel the contract to build 'Gods Wonderful Railway' was made.




Its now a Wetherspoons. When I first arrived a tribe of druggie types were sat on the steps with their rottweilers. I was loathe to go in let alone take my dear Mater there for lunch. It turned out that they weren't customers anyway and left after a while as did most of the less than chic dinners. (The joys of a late lunch).




Mission accomplished - a lovely afternoon with my wonderful Mum.
So it didn't matter so much that the food ranged from bland, mediocre to full-on inedible.
It might not have been the best choice of venue but the good thing about Wetherspoons is that the beer was good, there was no horrid music and it was cheap. But I would advise avoiding the fruit crumble at all costs!


The time flew by and it was a dash to the station.



past this sadly derelict pub back to Temple Meads.




to Paddington


And home to some real food.
Lionel's Breton specialty: a spring casserole of ham, meaty sausage, peas, cos lettuce and potato. Truly delicious.



ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment